Saturday, July 25, 2009

What the Random

I lot of people shake their heads at the Russians when they learn that their words for "vodka" and "water" are only separated by one letter and are often confused for one another. (vodka vs. voda.) Silly Russians.

What a lot of people don't know about is the history of the word "whisky."
The word "whisky" is directed derived from a shortening of the Gaelic "uisce beatha," meaning "water of life." (The pronunciation of Gaelic uisce is very similar to that of English whisky.)
So not only does the word literally translate to "water" in the Irish language - it's derived from "water of LIFE." (The Irish would.) I think this explains a lot about these people. They probably die if their BAC drops below 0.20.
(Courtesy of Wikipedia: Unless a person has developed a high tolerance for alcohol, a BAC rating of 0.20% represents very serious intoxication (most first-time drinkers would be unconscious by about 0.15%), and 0.35%–0.40% represents potentially fatal alcohol poisoning.)
(I include this because 0.20 seems like such a pathetically small number and is hardly funny unless you know a bit about BAC which I apparently do not despite all the alcohol edu we've been forced through. And I didn't want to write a higher number and have some smartass call me out for being unrealistic.)




Summer Goal Update!

Start a blog
Actually write in it
Make some money off it (0.02¢ so far bitches! Thanks guys.)
*Make more than a dollar. Ambitious, I know.
Learn to write left-handed (getting much better)
Finish reading 1776, The Picture of Dorian Grey, Winston Churchill's Memoirs from WWII *gag*
Make a YouTube video that exceeds 1,000 views (in progress)
Come up with a baller signature
Kickflip consistently
Varial flip
Dunk
Dunk not because I'm 6'4" but because I'm awesome and have a 40" vertical
Swim 400m without dying (I did 300m but almost passed out)
Touch my toes
Touch my toes without bending my knees (started at 7 inches away, now at 4!)





PS. I noticed I've been getting some hits from Japan, Korea, Spain, Taiwan, Australia, Canada; even Belgium and Malaysia(?!), so I'd like to thank them. ありがとうございます、감사합니다, gracias, thanks mate! etc.

1 comment:

  1. hi alex :]
    i appreciate your including the Korean greeting :P haha and i think your blog might be worth bookmarking into my "time killerz" folder haha

    see you around campus? :D mebbeeeee

    ReplyDelete